In February 2012, Oakmeadow Primary School, located in Wolverhampton, became the first UK school built and certified to Passivhaus Standard. Since then, there have been several certified Passivhaus schools built in the UK, constructed from a range of materials and budgets.
Oakmeadow Primary School, Architype ©Leigh Simpson
NB – The above stats are correct for certified Passivhaus schools, to the Trust’s knowledge at January 2017. Whilst we endeavour to keep a thorough record of all UK certified Passivhaus schemes, if we are not informed of a project, or it is not fully certified, it may not be on our database.
In the Pipeline
There are a few other educational schemes under construction or awaiting Passivhaus certification:
- Parliament Hill Secondary School - London
- Kellogg College – University of Oxford
- St Benedict’s Junior School - London
Other Education & Learning Facilities
There are also a number of other UK educational projects that cater for higher education & research.
- Hadlow College – Kent, England.
- STEM at University of Bradford - England.
- University of Leicester, Centre for Medicine (Currently the largest commercial Passivhaus in the UK)
- University of East Anglia, Enterprise Centre - Norwich, England.
- The Centre for Renewable Energy and Sustainable Technologies (CREST) – Northern Ireland.
- Cre8 Barn – Huddersfield, England.
- South West Energy Centre Passivhaus Demonstration House - Devon, England.
- Hereford Archive & Record Centre (HARC) – Hereford, England.
Post Occupancy Evaluation
PHT Patron Member Architype, have conducted a post occupancy data monitoring on a number of their school projects. The data proves that pupils’ concentration levels benefit from the superior indoor air quality and thermal comfort a Passivhaus provides. Controlled and maintained CO2 levels help the children stay alert and attentive throughout the day. Running and maintenance costs are slashed, as the building requires nominal energy to heat or cool.
If you have an educational Passivhaus project under construction or nearing certification – please let us know by completing and returning the project information request form to:email@example.com
Cover image: Rocking Horse Nursery, BMJ Architects