UK Passivhaus Awards 2013
The 2013 UK Passivhaus Awards, celebrated the design and performance of Passivhaus in the UK. It highlight the achievements of the Passivhaus pioneers and that Passivhaus can apply to any building type to create beautiful buildings.
The objective of the 2013 awards was to gather data on performance of UK Passivhaus buildings and demonstrate that Passivhaus buildings address occupant health and well-being, energy saving and other sustainability issues.
- Totnes Passivhaus, Passivhaus Homes Ltd:
Private Housing (Sponsored by Ecology Building Society)
- Lancaster Cohousing Project, Eco Arc Architects & Alan Clark
Social Housing (Sponsored by Kingspan Insulation Ltd.)
- Canolfan Hyddgen, JPW Construction
Non-domestic (Sponsored by Munster Joinery)
Further Information available here: 2013 Winners
The shortlisted projects for the 2013 awards were:
Private Housing (sponsored by Ecology Building Society)
• Crossway, Hawkes Architecture Ltd.
• Plummerswood, Gaia Research
• Totnes Passivhaus, Passivhaus Homes Ltd.
Social Housing (sponsored by Kingspan Insulation Ltd)
• Ditchingham Passivhaus, Parsons & Whittley
• Lancaster Cohousing Project, Eco Arc Architects
• Racecourse Passivhaus Bungalows, Gentoo
Non-domestic (sponsored by Munster Joinery)
• Canolfan Hyddgen, JPW Construction
• Green Base, Simmonds Mills Architects
• Interserve Office, Interserve
The judging panel comprise of leading CEPH designers and prominent figures from the fields of low energy building design:
Nick Grant Technical Director, Passivhaus Trust
Jon Bootland Chief Executive, Passivhaus Trust
Lynne Sullivan OBE Co-founding Partner, Sustainable By Design
Hattie Hartman Sustainability Editor, The Architects' Journal
All entries were judged against the following criteria:
- Energy consumption
- Quality of the indoor environment
- Occupant feedback
- Design philosophy/ innovation
- Other sustainability features
15th May Phase I submission
3rd June Announcement of Shortlisted projects
21st June Phase II submission
25th June Online voting for PHT members opens
3rd July Online voting for PHT members closes
4th July Presentations and voting for shortlisted projects
Announcement of winners at Awards ceremony
- The UK Passivhaus Awards are the only dedicated awards for Passivhaus in the UK.
- All shortlisted projects in the awards were promoted as pioneers of their sector through all the Passivhaus Trust marketing channels and the media.
- The shortlisted projects were featured prominently on the Passivhaus Trust website, which attracts over 16,000 page impressions per month.
- All shortlisted entrants and their projects were featured in a special edition of the Passivhaus Trust newsletter which reaches over 2,000 developers, housing associations, architects, engineering consultants and other organisations in 15 countries.
- All shortlisted projects were promoted in selected Press.
- The shortlisted entry teams/ individuals were invited to present their project at the Awards ceremony on 4 July 2013 to an audience of key industry leaders, clients, architects and engineering consultants.
- In addition, all projects shortlisted in the 2013 UK Passivhaus Awards, featured in an A1 poster exhibition on display at the UK Passivhaus conference 2013 and at other major Passivhaus events.
- The winning projects featured in a special edition of the Passivhaus Trust newsletter and received detailed coverage in the Passive House+ magazine and 24housing.